Classroom Training Compass Visual Aid
This is a demonstration baseplate compass that is big enough to hold up in front of a classroom and be seen by your students. You can demonstrate common compass skills including:
- Orienting yourself and your map with North and the cardinal directions
- Sighting a bearing to a distant object
- Traveling along a heading
- Plotting a bearing on your map
The compass can be adjusted for declination and grid variance, and you will be able to show your student how to do this and what their compass should look like when correctly adjusted. Just like in a real compass, the orienting arrow is on separate layer from the orienting arrow and protractor dial. There are angular markings to help position the orienting arrow at a fixed angle from the orienting lines and the protractor dial. This compass uses a dot of velcro to fix the adjustment position.
Please note this is not a functional compass. The needle is not magnetized and will not align itself with magnetic north.
Here is a link to a page that describes how to use our line of large teaching aid products.
- Base plate dimensions: 14” x 10” x 1/8”
- Dial and Capsule diameter: 9 3/4”
- Dial markings: 360° in 2° increments, Cardinal directions of N, S, E, and W are labeled
- It is possible to special order dials marked in 90° quadrants on in mils.
- Weight: 15 oz.
- Overall thickness: 0.6”
- Central pivot: A Chicago Screw holds it all together, but is easily unscrewed to change out dials or other parts. Fuzzy washers make it easy to move the needle and dial while providing enough friction that they will stay in position.
Add to Shopping Cart
Height: 14.000 in. (356mm)
Width: 10.000 in. (254mm)
Thickness: 0.600 in. (15mm)
Made in United States.