Class from 8:00am until about 5:40pm. The class meets in Cilker 116.
We will be outside on campus for several hours. Wear clothing appropriate for the day's weather and "off sidewalk" travel.
- Thoughts on Buying a GPS
- Digital Maps
- Smart Phone Apps
- Blackrock Desert Trip - Testing the digital stuff in the outback
- Maps - BLM 100k maps not digital, To many 7.5 mins, all had to be loaded in advance
- Power - Hard to stay charged
- Know your charging cords
- Temperature impacts charging and operation
- Mostly successful having iPad displaying moving map
- Lunch Time
- Take the Quiz
- Eat lunch
- Continue with the "Great Wilderness Navigation Game"
- Try a harder "low visibility" route
- More work with the Bearing and Distance Exercise in Lot 2
- Grade and Review the Quiz
- Just because it's on your map…
- What can go wrong
- Emigrant Wilderness Orienteering Rally – Classroom Exercise
Weekend 2 - Sunday
Every year there are topics that I'd like to cove but we run out of time. The slides are presented here, even if we don't cove the material in class.Extra Topics